Founding Executive Director William C. Bosher Jr., Ed.D., designed the institute to fill the need for a university-based educational policy research unit that focuses on Virginia and provides analysis for elected leaders and specialized training for education professionals.
Since its inception, CEPI has:
- Managed and implemented grants on behalf of the Virginia departments of Education, Health and Juvenile Justice Services.
- Provided leadership in Virginia’s implementation of the State Action for Education Leadership Project through the Wallace Foundation. The project resulted in a legislative commission on the future of education leadership as well as training modules for use by colleges and universities.
- Acted as co-primary investigator for a $5 million National Science Foundation grant.
- Provided resource management reviews for local school systems throughout the commonwealth and North Carolina.
- Sponsored an annual Education Law Conference from 2003 to 2009.
- Conducted an annual training for state assembly education committee staffers from Virginia and three neighboring states from 1998 to 2002.
- Published an annual Commonwealth Education Poll that began in 2000.
- Published General Assembly Updates, a newsletter covering education issues during each legislative session.
- Completed policy analysis projects for clients ranging from Virginia governors to local school boards.