The Commonwealth Educational Policy Institute, a program of the Office for Public Policy Outreach in the Center for Public Policy, L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs, provides non-partisan policy analysis to the public and education policymakers. In addition to contracted research projects, CEPI conducts the Commonwealth Education Poll (now part of the Wilder Schools Public Policy Poll) and provides a monthly newsletter, Compass Point, about education-related issues as a public service.
Read periodic summaries about education-related bills during each year’s legislative session.
Our semi-annual survey gauges public support for currents issues affecting education.
The 2017-18 Winter Commonwealth Education Poll is a statewide survey of adult public opinion in Virginia on a range of education policy questions. This poll is conducted by VCU’s Office for Public Policy Outreach in the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs.
- 2017 Summer Commonwealth Education Poll (now part of the Wilder School Public Policy Poll - includes info on K12 and Campus Safety and workforce development)
Topics covered in the K12 and Campus Safety release include opinion on school and campus safety, ways of measuring school success and whether protection from discrimination or unlimited freedom of expression should be emphasized by university administrators. Topics covered in the Economic Development release include opinion on higher education performance.
Latest Compass Point (our weekly newsletter)
- Williams: Banning high school athletes from kneeling for the national anthem is a bad idea, and here's why (The Richmond Times Dispatch - January 18, 2018)
- Poll: Virginia schools don't have funding they need (The Richmond Times Dispatch - January 17, 2018)
- POLITICO - Morning Education (POLITICO - January 16, 2018)
- Virginians split on national anthem protests, VCU poll shows (The Richmond Times Dispatch - January 16, 2018)
- Editorial: Too many Virginians want a safe space for censorshipThe Richmond Times-Dispatch(September 7, 2017)
- VCU Poll Looks at Discrimination and Free Speech on Campus(Community Idea Stations - August 29, 2017)